So many people in our world and in our schools think that life is about being a good person. "Well I am a good person and do things that help people and I mean I have never killed anyone, so yeah why wouldn't I go to heaven?" Have you heard this coming from the mouths of people at your school? How about this one, "Well there is just no proof for me to believe that there is a God. I mean its just part of my personality for me not to believe, besides why would he allow so much pain and suffering to gone and to good people?"
We are faced with the toughest questions and even though sometimes we don't have all the answers, we are still a testimony to people through our response and our behaviour.
1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
Romans 1:19-20 "They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God"
What are your thoughts and questions?
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGod gives people free will. They can choose to kill people or commit crimes. That doesn't mean God is doing it. God isn't making the world a sinful place, humans are.
ReplyDeleteThere is proof that God exists. Look at all the simple miracles that we don't even think about that happen all around us: sunsets, flowers blooming, rainbows, people being healed from diseases, seasons changing, rain falling. And, the most obvious one, LIFE. It's a miracle that we were created from just the joining of cells and formed in our mother's womb and emerged into the world and continued to grow and are here now. Life is a gift from God and proof of God.
-Claire
I think it's funny that most people, especially in America, are trying to disprove that God exists instead of trying to prove it. I think that the whole purpose for living has been forgotten. I mean, seriously, you're born, you go to elementary school, middle school, highschool, and then off to college with the whole idea of making the world a better place by getting jobs and stuff, but we spend most of our time arguing over who is right or wrong: Does God exist? Is Obama the Antichrist? Are the terrorists gonna attack America? Is the end of the world in 2012? These potentially good questions for discussions are turning the American mind into a battle field. We even judge ourselves according to others wrongs. But let me ask you this, "If you asked a terrorist if he was going to heaven what would he say?" I bet, and this is only my assumption, but I bet he would say, "Absolutely! I'm a very good person. I have not abominated myself by surrounding myself with these infidels or wasting precious time to take the world over for Allah. I have even killed these unbelievers in the name of God!" Yes we are human and yes we can have a lack of faith sometimes but that does not give us the right to do whatever we want to because we think we can justify it. Remember, God is not like us. It's like the guy who puts his hands over his eyes thinking that because he can't see the guy in front of him the guy in front of him can't see him. We use Christianity as a level of justification; a checklist of things that we have to do in order to go to heaven. That's not how it works. I can't be just a "good person" I've got to be different. What's the difference between us and nonbelievers? The difference is that I acknowledge my sin and that there is someone who holds the whole world together PLUS - I have a hope, a hope that when I sin, I will be forgiven without any doubt, a hope that when I die, I'm not gonna be in a hole in the ground, but will have eternal life. It's like Pastor said last sunday - we're hiding behind Christianity instead of leading those who are hiding behind life and wishing they could crawl in a hole...there's is so much more to life and we see it, but we're to darn afraid to be different, so we hide behind the good person theology. One more thing: about the Romans 1:19-20 verse it's kinda like the math nerd. He knows all these math terms and equations by heart that when told to others, sounds like a completely different language and then the nerd doesn't understand how you don't get what he's saying...sometimes we just need to stop talking in our church jargon and live the life - and that is being a human that's got a hope to sustain him for life, and an outlook on life to live it to it's fullest potential all under the name of Jesus Christ....
ReplyDelete~ Dennis
and I don't think the question should be, "What determines if you're good?" but rather, "Who determines what is good?" because we can all do the blame game easy - no problem...but who's the one who said that this was wrong and it's a sin...if you see where I'm tryin ta go...
ReplyDelete~ Dennis
The real question is "What determines what is bad?" To really know what something is, the opposite has to be answered as well. I mean, how much sin is too much sin? Or, if I can still sin while covered in the blood, then what is too little or too much sin? Is any of this really about sin? What if we stopped focusing on the sin and started focusing on the opposite. . . freedom.
ReplyDelete